Orange Gearle

family, friends, politics, music and technology... that's what it's all about

Monday, October 29, 2007

kidneys in the news

I found this story this morning...it's worth a read. And here's a link to the author's blog.

A few facts quoted in the story:


  • 20 million Americans - 1 in 9 adults - have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and another 20 million more are at increased risk.
  • Heart disease is the major cause of death for all people with CKD.
  • Hypertension causes CKD and CKD causes hypertension.
  • High risk groups include those with diabetes, hypertension and family history of kidney disease.
  • African Americans, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans and the elderly are at increased risk.
  • About 200,000 Americans suffer from kidney failure and need an artificial kidney machine to stay alive.

  • I took a walk with my dad yesterday after Sunday family lunch. He said to me, "Now, I can't walk too fast. I just kinda stumble along." He did just fine...and it was nice father-daughter time.....no politics, just life.

    Labels: ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home