Orange Gearle

family, friends, politics, music and technology... that's what it's all about

Thursday, August 17, 2006

nsa wiretapping v. jonbenet

On KUNI today I heard about the most recent ruling in the NSA wiretapping fiasco. Short story: A Federal Judge in Detroit has ruled that the Bush Administration's domestic wiretapping program is unconstitutional and violates federal law. Full story here.

So, I got home and I turned on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, you name it....and what did I hear....nothing but JonBenet Ramsey. Now, this ten-year-old case may be important. I have my opinions about this latest development...I think it's a hoax, but who knows? Regardless, I can understand why it's news. She was white, a beauty queen, and from a wealthy family. Why wouldn't we know all about it?? However, a FEDERAL JUDGE says that our PRESIDENT's policy has VIOLATED the LAW and is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Why am I not hearing much about it???? This is disturbing to me.

So, I got online. The MSM pages...all JonBenet. I wouldn't be exaggerating much if I said that I had to dig to find the wiretapping story. It happened today, people. It's not like it's old news. I don't get it.

I don't mean to belittle the horrible death of a young girl. That would be heartless. I do care and of course I want the evil being that did this to her brought to justice. I am only questioning two things: Why is this national news? Why is this the top story above our president's violation of basic civil rights? (ok three) Why don't "the people" want our president and his policies brought to justice just as much as Karr?

NPR came through for me. I found this Q&A very informative. It's nothing new, exactly, but lots of info about the program in one location. It's dated back in May, but still worth the read I think. Although nothing new, I found this part especially perturbing and relevant:


"...FISA has provisions for emergency situations: The executive branch can begin a wiretap and then obtain a warrant within 72 hours if time is of the essence. And if war is declared, FISA allows warrantless wiretapping for 15 days, after which Congress must be consulted."


So, once again I say....why is there a 'need' for this program??? The executive branch has the legal power to do it...within the law...so why the need for this ILLEGAL and UNCONSTITUTIONAL program???? Let's see....because he can?? (or thinks he can?) Mr. President, why do you hate civil rights?? Why do you hate the constitution? Why do you hate America?

I'd like to think that the reason this wasn't "news" today is because everyone already knows he's violated the constitution, probably many times over, so people are just thinking, "Well, yeah, of course he did," but I'm not certain that's the case. And anyway, even if that were the case, I guess I'd be just as exasperated at the fact that we've become so desensitised and apathetic to our miscreant administration. Why aren't more people outraged? Why aren't people screaming at the top of their lungs???

Of course the administration is appealing the ruling...so the illegal eavesdropping continues despite the judges ruling.

As I finish this diary, The Daily Show has begun. Top story: JonBenet. Good grief.

UPDATE: (8/18/06) The top story on most of the papers that I saw in HandiMart this morning....NSA Wiretapping Ruled Unconstitutional. Maybe there's hope yet?? :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home