Orange Gearle

family, friends, politics, music and technology... that's what it's all about

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

tee-hee

God, Colbert cracks me up! (I liked Colbert when Colbert wasn't cool, though.) His commencement speech to Knox College Graduates this past Sunday...frickin' hilarious. Here's a few of my favorite parts:
And when you enter the work force, you will find competition from those crossing our all-too-poorest borders. Now I know you're all going to say, "Stephen, Stephen, immigrants built America." Yes, but here's the thing -- it's built now. I think it was finished in the mid-70s sometime. At this point it's a touch-up and repair job. But thankfully Congress is acting and soon English will be the official language of America. Because if we surrender the national anthem to Spanish, the next thing you know, they'll be translating the Bible. God wrote it in English for a reason! So it could be taught in our public schools.


*snip* I'm a wondering if he said "poorest" or "porous"??

Breathe free. It's time for illegal immigrants to go -- right after they finish building those walls. Yes, yes, I agree with me.

There are so many challenges facing this next generation, and as they said earlier, you are up for these challenges. And I agree, except that I don't think you are. I don't know if you're tough enough to handle this. You are the most coddled generation in history. I belong to the last generation that did not have to be in a car seat. You had to be in car seats. I did not have to wear a helmet when I rode my bike. You do. You have to wear helmets when you go swimming, right? In case you bump your head against the side of the pool. Oh, by the way, I should have said, my speech today may contain some peanut products.


*snip*

But you have one thing that may save you, and that is your youth. This is your great strength. It is also why I hate and fear you. Hear me out. It has been said that children are our future. But does that not also mean that we are their past? You are here to replace us. I don't understand why we're here helping and honoring them. You do not see union workers holding benefits for robots.


And of course....after reading that last sentence you have to watch the robot video again. (I still haven't figured out why it's so funny...but damn it, it is!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home