Orange Gearle

family, friends, politics, music and technology... that's what it's all about

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

endings

Well, that's a depressing title. The only things I really want to end are this F$&*ing useless war, the drama, and the year 2006. Who knows when/if the war or the drama will end, and there are 214 more days of 2006. In a few hours, May will end, that's something.

Have you listened the new Dixie Chicks CD Taking the Long Way? Well, I purchased it tonight, mainly for the principle of the whole thing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, where have you been? :-) And read this. I was pretty happy when I went to Target last Tuesday to purchase it on it's release date -- it was sold out. Good for them. As of today, it's number one on the charts. Good for them. I've never actually owned a Dixie Chicks CD, but I felt I needed to this time...for the cause. I've listened to the whole thing once, and IMHO, it's not quite Dixie Chicks enough for me...too poppish and not enough bluegrass. I probably don't like it because it's number one on the charts. :-) As a matter of fact, their title track is about not being "able to follow" and taking the long way to get where you need/want to be. That fits me, if nothing else. Several of the songs have decent lyrics, actually. I like Lubbock or Leave It. It's got a great beat and it's easy to dance to, Dick....or I just like it. I've really enjoyed listening to Bitter End. Mainly because I've had quite a few of those lately, or endings at least, some of which have been a tad bitter, I suppose. Blah blah...I like wine not whine. Anyway...endings...

Tomorrow the kids are here for 3 hours. Then, their kindergarten year ends. Wow. I will head to our annual Staff Cook Out immediately after I do a cartwheel as the buses pass by (literally, I do that every year on the last day of school - call me Sonic the Hedgehog). Next comes an afternoon of speeches at the Staff Recognition Program. Then my career at Ridge ends. Many of you know that I am transfering schools. It was my choice, for several reasons that I probably shouldn't make public, even though I doubt anyone is actually reading this. :-) I will be going back to first grade, which will be nice. I have a great team there and I love the principal. I'm leaving all my friends. Yes, I realize that I will make new friends, and things will be fine. I know that I'm not leaving the district, the town, the state. But this is another end in my life.

This ending means packing up all my stuff and moving. Moving sucks. :-) My mom has been down helping me pack stuff, which has been really nice. Today while we were taking a break to eat lunch, Mom asked me if I was finished with this huge project that I've been working on for the kids. It has to be complete so that the kids can take it home at 11:10 when they leave tomorrow. As I type this, it still isn't completed. I'm "taking a break from it" right now. :-) When my mom asked I said, "Mom, do you remember me staying up until 5am to complete papers in High School?" She laughed and realized that she had asked a very silly question. (unfinished product is pictured above)


My daughter celebrated the end of finals today. Woo hoo. The end to an interesting year for her. Now a summer of song and dance performances in a local performance company and hopefully a job!

Really, though, probably my favorite song after the first listen, is the song that the Dixie Chicks chose to have at the end of their CD. It's called I Hope. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm more about hoping than endings. So, it's the end of the school year, but the beginning of the summer. I saw my first firefly last night! It's the end of Ridge for me, but the beginning of a new school, new families to meet, and new friends to work with. And for the kids, shit, they don't care. :-) But, in a few hours, they will be first graders.

I suppose endings, all of them, aren't so bad after all.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home